Säynätsalo town hall group, Finland, designed by Alvar Aalto, 1950–52. Aalto’s work is an example of governmental architecture in which indigenous building traditions and materials are combined with modern design and building technology.
Alvar Aalto, one of Finland’s greatest architects, made modernist masterpieces with a human touch. A towering figure of Modernist architecture, Alvar Aalto began his career in the ‘20s in what was then the newly-independent nation of Finland, helping define the style and aesthetic reputation of the rising Scandinavian nation.
Alvar Aalto -museoon vapaa pääsy talvikuukausina keskisuomalaisella kirjastokortilla. Näyttely. 18.9.2018 Arkkitehti Sakari Laitisen näyttely avaa Alvar Aalto -museon syksyn. Uutinen. 17.9.2018 Pro Paimio -komitea vetoaa Paimion parantolan säilyttämisen puolesta.
Selection of architecture by Alvar Aalto: photos and drawings of the major sites.
Alvar Aalto is a name synonymous with Finnish architecture. A prolific worker, it is estimated that Aalto designed approximately 500 buildings over the course of his 50 year career.
Alvar Aalto was born on February 3, 1898, in Kuortane, Finland (Russian Empire at that time). He studied architecture at the Technical Institute of Helsinki and graduated in 1921.
Defence Corps Building, Seinäjoki. The Finnish architect Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) is known as the …
The villa Mairea is a country house, built by Finnish architect Alvar Aalto in Noormarkku, Finland between 1937 and 1940 for the couple Harry and Maire Gullichsen, who asked him to consider as an “experimental house”.
The Alvar Aalto Museum in Jyväskylä. This museum, which is specialised in architecture and design, is located in Jyväskylä. It was founded in 1966 to foster the legacy of the architecture of Alvar Aalto. The museum is located in a building designed by Aalto and completed in 1973.
Alvar Aalto was born in Kuortane, Finland in 1898, the son of a surveyor. He graduated with honors from Helsinki Polytechnic in 1921 after which he opened his own practice. He held the position of Professor of Architecture at MIT 1946 to 1948, and was President of the Academy of Finland 1963-68.